Australia began 2019 with a comfortable 34-runs win over India in the one-day format. Australia had an awful 2018 where they could manage only 2 wins and lost as many as 13 in the 50-over format. Australia couldn't ask for a better start of a year as former world no. 1 team has taken a 1-0 lead in 3-match series.
With the help of this win, Australia became the first and only country to win 1000 matches in all three formats (Test, ODI, T20I). Despite their struggle in all three formats in recent times, Australia has won most matches in Tests and ODIs than any other team in the world. Apart from Australia, only three teams have been able to win more than 700 matches in the history of the cricket.
Here is the list of the TOP 5 countries with most international wins
1. AUSTRALIA (1000 WINS) - Since the beginning of the cricket, Australia has been a most successful team in the history of the game. They played their first match in 1877 against England and since then they have played 818 Tests, 920 ODIs, and 114 T20Is and have won 1000 matches (384 Tests, 558 ODIs, 58 T20Is). During this period, Australia has won Five 50-over world cups and has been the team to beat during the time period of 1990 to 2010.
2. ENGLAND (774 WINS) - England is the country who invented cricket. England played their first match against their Ashes rivals in 1877 and has played 1007 Tests, 721 ODIs, and 105 T20Is so far and has won 774 matches (364 Tests, 360 ODIs, 50 T20Is). Despite inventing cricket, England couldn't win the 50-over world cup. Their only major ICC tournament win came in the shortest format of the game when they became T20 champion in 2010 after beating Australia in the final.
3. INDIA (711 WINS) - India has emerged as one of the teams to beat since the start of 21st century. In their 86-year of cricketing history, India has played 533 Tests, 954 ODIs, and 110 T20Is and has won 711 matches (150 Tests, 492 ODIs, 69 T20Is). The biggest moment for Indian cricket came in 1983 when India became world champions for the first time by beating defending champions West Indies under the captaincy of Kapil Dev and 28 years later, India lifted the World Cup for the second time under MS Dhoni. Apart from winning 50-over World Cup twice, India has won inaugural T20I World Cup in 2007 and Champions Trophy in 2014.
4. PAKISTAN (702 WINS) - Pakistan is known for producing fast bowlers and has won many matches because of the great pacers. Since their first match (In 1952), Pakistan has played 422 Tests, 899 ODIs, and 139 T20Is and has won 702 matches (136 Tests, 477 ODIs, 89 T20Is). Pakistan has won 50-over World Cup (1992), T20I World Cup (2009), Champions Trophy (2017) at least once in their cricketing history.
5. WEST INDIES (608 WINS) - From 1970 to 1980, West Indies was an almost unbeatable team. During this period, Windies won two World Cup (1975, 1979) and in 1983, they lost to India in the final at the iconic Lords Cricket Ground. Windies have played 539 Tests, 788 ODIs, and 104 T20Is so far and have won 608 matches (171 Tests, 388 ODIs, 49 T20Is). Apart from two 50-over World Cups, Windies have won two T20I World Cups (2012, 2016) and Champions Trophy in 2004.
Stats till 12 Jan 2019.
Follow for more...