On 18 February 1996, The legendary Sachin Tendulkar scored his first of six centuries in ODI World Cup. The master blaster is the only batsman in the history of cricket who has scored 6 centuries in World Cup matches. Tendulkar represented India in 6 ODI World Cup and the best effort was in 2011 when India lifted the Cup after 28 years. 2011 World Cup was Tendulkar's last World Cup as a player.
Apart from scoring highest centuries, the legend has scored most runs than any other player in World Cup as well as in Tests and ODIs. Talking about the World Cup, Tendulkar is the only batsman to score more than 2000 runs in the tournament.
Here is the list of TOP 5 batsman with most runs in ODI World Cup:
1. Sachin Tendulkar (IND, 2278 Runs)
- In the six World Cups, Sachin Tendulkar has played 45 matches in which the master blaster has scored 2278 runs at an average of 56.95 with 6 centuries and 15 half centuries. His best effort came in 2003 World Cup in South Africa where he scored 673 runs in 11 matches which is a record in a single World Cup.
Sachin Tendulkar debuted in World Cup 1992 in Pakistan where he went on to score 283 runs in 7 innings of 8 matches at an average of 47.16 with 3 half-centuries. He played a match-winning knock of unbeaten 54 off 62 balls including 9 fours and 1 six against Pakistan.
2. Ricky Ponting (AUS, 1743 Runs)
- Former Australian captain, Ricky Ponting is considered as one of the greatest players. Under his captaincy, Australia lifted the World Cup twice in 2003, 2007. As a batsman, he scored 1743 runs in 42 innings of 46 World Cup matches at an average of 45.46 with 5 centuries and 6 half-centries. His knock of 140* in the final against India in 2003 has been one of the finest knocks of the World Cup.
3. Kumar Sangakkara (SL, 1532 Runs)
- Kumar Sangakkara is arguably the greatest batsman Sri Lanka has ever produced. The wicket-keeper batsman has scored more runs than any other Sri Lankan batsman in both Tests and ODIs. In World Cups, Sangakkara has played 35 innings of 37 matches and scored 1532 runs at an average of 56.74 with 5 hundred (4 came in 2015) and 7 fifties.
Kumar Sangakkara hit four centuries in a row in 2015 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand which is a record of this tournament's history. He was the second highest run scorer in 2015 World Cup with 541 runs in seven innings.
4. Brian Lara (WI, 1225 Runs)
- Who is the best - Sachin or Lara? This has been the subject of the debate over the years. West Indies has produced so many great players and Lara is one and perhaps the best of them. He represented West Indies in 5 World Cups in which he played 33 innings of 34 matches where the left-hander has scored 1225 runs at an average of 42.24 with 2 centuries and 7 half-centuries.
5. AB de Villiers (SA, 1207 Runs)
- AB de Villiers is one of the greatest ODI batsmen if not the greatest of all time. He made the batting look so easy with his ability to play shots. He represented South Africa in 3 World Cups and played 23 matches and scored 1207 runs at an average of 63.52 with 4 hundred and 6 fifties. He has the best average among the top 50 highest run-getters in World Cup matches
Follow for more...