2018 has been another year that has seen Virat Kohli's brilliance across formats. He started the year where he left 2017. A year that saw him conquering England where it failed miserably in 2014. He always looked determined at the crease and taking on the opposition with his sheer aggressive style of batting whether it's hitting boundaries or blocking the balls. It has been a year where most of the batsmen have struggled to score runs but not Virat. He has dominated every opponent he played against.
It has always been for any subcontinent batsman to score runs in overseas condition but Virat Kohli perhaps the only one who has dominated those conditions. And this is the result of this that he surpassed legendary Rahul Dravid to score most numbers of runs by an Indian player in a calendar year in overseas Tests. Though, he couldn't end the year on high as he got out on Zero in last innings of 2018 but has done enough to find himself among the leading run-getters in overseas.
Here is the list of TOP 5 batsman with most runs in a calendar year in Overseas Tests:
1. Graeme Smith (1212 runs, 2008)
- Former South African captain and one of the most successful captains Graeme Smith took 2008 by storm and smashed 1212 runs. Smith who has scored 9265 runs in 117 Tests, has been South Africa's one of the best batsmen of all time. He is South Africa's youngest captain who became country's captain at the age of 22. He retired from International cricket in 2014.
2. Viv Richards (1154 runs, 1976)
- Viv Richards has considered one of the greatest batsmen of all time. He was a member of West Indies team that was unbeatable in the '70s and '80s. In 1976, a year after West Indies won World Cup 1975, Sir Viv Richards scored 1154 runs in overseas Tests. Sir Richards played 121 Tests for Windies between 1974 and 1991 and scored 8,540 runs with an average of 50.23.
3. Virat Kohli (1138 runs, 2018)
- 2018 has been the year of India captain Virat Kohli where he has scored 1318 Test runs and 1138 runs came against England (593), South Africa (286), and Australia (259) in 10 matches. He also scored 4 centuries. The ranked 1 batsman was the highest run-getter in the series' against South Africa and England.
4. Rahul Dravid (1137 runs, 2002)
- Former India captain and legendary Rahul Dravid who has scored 13288 runs in 164 Tests have been India's one of the best overseas batsmen. In 2002, Dravid scored 1137 runs in overseas conditions and is one of only three Indian batsmen who has scored more than 1000 runs in overseas Tests in a calendar year. Dravid last played a Tests vs Australia at Adelaide Oval, Jan 24, 2012.
5. Mohinder Amarnath (1065 runs, 1983)
- Mohinder Amarnath was a man of comeback who played for India almost two decades. He played a crucial role in India's World Cup 1983 triumph. His defining season was 1982-83 where he made his come back to the side after three years and scored 1182 runs including five hundred in 11 away Tests against West Indies and Pakistan. And in 1983, he scored 1065 runs on overseas tours. Amarnath played 69 Tests for India and scored 4378 runs including 11 hundred.
Follow for more...