On 22nd February 2019, India's Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi received the prestigious Seoul Peace Prize for 2018 for his contribution to international cooperation and fostering global economic growth.
Here is what he said in the Award speech:
Watch the video here.
The Seoul Peace Prize is dedicated to the people of India & our country’s culture of peace and harmony.
- I believe that this award belongs not to me personally, but to the people of India.
The success that India has achieved in the last 5 years is due to aspirations, inspiration & efforts of the people of India.
On their behalf, I accept the Award and express my gratitude: PM
- I dedicate this award to the 1.3 billion people of India for giving me the opportunity to serve them.
I am honoured that this award is being conferred on me in the year that we celebrate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi: PM
- The Seoul Peace Prize was established to commemorate the success of the 24th Summer Olympics held in Seoul in 1988.
The games ended on Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday.
The games showcased the best of Korean culture, warmth of Korean hospitality & success of the Korean economy: PM
- A few weeks before the Seoul Olympics, an organization called Al-Qaeda was formed.
Today, radicalization and terrorism have become globalized and are the biggest threats to global peace and security: PM
- India’s growth story is not only good for the people of India but also for the entire world.
We live in an increasingly interconnected world. Our growth and prosperity will inevitably contribute to global growth and development: PM
- India, as a responsible member of the international community, has been in the forefront of our collective fight against climate change.
Despite having a historically low carbon footprint, India has been playing an active role in the global fight against climate change: PM
- Like Korea, India has also suffered the pain of division and cross-border strife.
Our endeavour towards peaceful development has only too often been derailed by cross-border terrorism: PM
- The time has come for all right-thinking nations to join hands to completely eradicate terrorist networks.
Only by doing so, Can we replace hate with harmony;
Destruction with development & Transform the landscape of violence and vendetta into a postcard for peace: PM
- I would like to end by quoting a portion of the 1988 Olympics Theme Song, because it perfectly captures the hopeful spirit for a better tomorrow for all of us:
Hand in hand, we stand
All across the land,
We can make this world,
A better place in which to live: PM
For more and the latest news about Politics
, stay tuned to us.