Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced that entire India will be locked down for the next 21 days from midnight tonight (25 March) and urged Indians to forget what stepping out feels like, or warned that the entire country will go back 21 years.
So far, more than 500 coronavirus positive cases reported in the country. To break the chain, PM Narendra Modi said the next 21 days will be crucial and decide the country's future.
Here are the key points the PM highlighted during the address to the nation -
- Complete Lockdown in Country
- The nation is going to take a very important decision. Starting midnight, the whole country will be under complete lockdown to save the country. The lockdown will continue for 21 days starting midnight tonight.
- "If we are not able to manage the upcoming 21 days (of nationwide complete lockdown), we will be pushed back 21 years,"
- "You have to remember that a Coronavirus infected person initially appears to be normal and doesn't show symptoms. So maintain precautions and stay at home.
- "Social distancing applies to everyone, including your prime minister"
- The prime minister asks the people to think about those in the essential services, who are working round the clock to serve the country, in these testing times.
- "Today India is at the stage where our actions today, will decide that to what extent we can bring down the impact of this disaster. This is the time to strengthen our resolve again and again,"
- The central government has allotted Rs 15,000 Crore to develop the country's healthcare and make it efficient enough to deal with the menace of coronavirus. The money will be used to develop testing facilities, PPEs, ICUs, Ventilators and training medical workers.
- "I am confident that India will not only successfully tackle this challenge but also emerge victorious in this time of crisis take care of yourself and take care of your near and dear ones,"
- "We are taking all steps to ensure continuous essential supplies. It is a fact that this unfortunate phase has brought a lot of difficulties for the poor. But the central government, state government‘s social organizations and civil society are working to reduce the difficulties for the poor,"
- "A number of people are coming forward to help them. We are making efforts to not only give priority to what is required for daily life but also what is required for protecting everyone's life. The government has taken decisions on the advice and suggestions of the WHO, the medical and scientific institutes and health experts,"
Earlier, Prime Narendra Modi addressed the nation on 19th March and announced one day Janata Curfew on March 22 that was very much successful. But as the positive cases continue to rise, The PM now announced that the country will be locked down for the next 21 days to save the lives of people from Coronavirus that was declared Pendecmic by the World Health Organization (WHO).