Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation on ongoing coronavirus pandemic. This is the third time the prime minister has addressed the nation since he announced nationwide lockdown on 25th March. His address came after a long 6-hour virtual meeting with the chief ministers yesterday.
In his address, the prime minister announced 'Lockdown 4' after May 17 which would be completely different with new rules. He also announced a much needed economic package worth 20 Lakh Crore to give boost the economy which has been hit hard by the pandemic.
Here is the highlight from his speech -
- It has been over 4 months that the world is battling coronavirus. 42 lakh have been infected globally. Over 2.45 lakh have died. In India, many have lost their loved ones. I offer my condolences.
- Getting exhausted or accepting defeat, not an option. We need to save lives and move forward at the same time.
- We need to strengthen our resolve. Since the last century, we've been hearing that the 21st century belongs to India. In the global scenario, we are tracking developments. When we see it from India's prism, it looks like that it is not just a dream, we are responsible to ensure that the 21st century belongs to India.
- We stand at a crucial juncture. This crisis has a message for India, an opportunity. I'd try explaining using an example. When the crisis started, not a single PPE kit was made in India, N-95s were produced in negligible numbers. Today, in India, 2 lakh PPEs and 2 lakh N-95s being produced.
- India, as this example, demonstrates, turned the crisis into an opportunity.
- India's self-reliance takes into account global peace and coordination. Our heritage, our motherland, when we become self-reliant, increases the prospects of a safe and prosperous world.
- When India became open defecation free, the world changed. Be it tuberculosis, malnutrition, or polio, India's action impacted the world. International Solar Alliance is India's gift to the world in the fight against global warming. India's medicines serving as a ray of hope in today's times.
- The world has started to believe that we can fare very well, that we can contribute to the upliftment of humanity. We have had a glorious past. We were dubbed 'sone-ki-chidiya'. Times changed, we yearned for development. We are taking steps towards development today.
- Today, we have the resources, the will, we have fine talent. We will manufacture the best products, improve quality and modernize the supply chain, we can do this and we will.
India can become self-reliant. This would be based on 5 pillars:
An economy that takes quantum jumps and not incremental gains.
Infrastructure is synonymous with a modern India.
3) Our system:
A system that helps us realize dreams, which is based on tech-driven facilities.
Vibrant demography our strength.
The demand and supply chain, we need to utilize the potential. We need to increase demand in the nation. Each stakeholder must be active.
- Announcing a special economic package in a bid to make India self-reliant. An important link. Around Rs 20 Lakh Crore. Around Rs 20 Lakh Crores which is around 10% of GDP. The package addresses sectors on which crores depend for livelihood.
- Package for farmers, for workers, who irrespective of circumstances, work for the nation. Package for MSMEs, who pay taxes sincerely and contribute. Package for Indian industry. From tomorrow, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will inform in detail.
- This signifies bold reforms, we must move forward. In the last six years, the reforms are undertaken, today, in crisis, we are much better off.
- The reform is in a bid to ensure that such a crisis impacts agriculture in the least possible manner. In a bid to enhance Human Resources and bid to strengthen the financial system. These reforms will attract investment and help Make in India.
- Hawkers, workers, help - they have faced difficulties in this time and have made sacrifices. Our duty now to make them better off, to work to further their interests. Keeping this in mind, be it poor, be it, workers, be it, fishermen, be it from the formal or informal sector, certain key announcements will be made.
- Local manufacturing, local supply chain: We realize the importance now. Local met our demands, locally saved us. Brands that are global were once similarly local. When people used them and these were branded, they became global from local. Its time to be vocal for local.
- We need to buy local products and spread the word. I am sure that we can do this. Your efforts have only increased my faith in you. I am proud to recollect that I had asked citizens to buy khadi and to support handloom workers; and in a short time, demand and sales touched record levels. You made it a big brand too. We got the results; and good results.
- Scientists and experts say that coronavirus will stay with us for long, but we can't make our lives revolve around this. We will wear masks, maintain distance, but not lose sight of our targets.
- In Lockdown 4
, we will follow norms, fight COVID-19, and move ahead. It will be based on suggestions by the state. Details will be informed by May 18 after suggestions from the state. We will fight and move forward by following rules. Our responsibility to make India a self-reliant India will be powered by the energy of the 1.3 billion population. With a new energy and new determination, we need to move ahead. Who can stop us then? We can make India self-reliant, and we will. With faith and hope, I urge citizens to take care of their health and the ones around them.